Friday 12 November 2010

Identifying Music Genre's

Rock - rock music magazines usually have dark colours on the front page. They usually have a band in a mid close up shot, posing as if they are in power. The font is usually black and has some sort of grunge look to it. The bands always wear dark colours and have sunglasses on to show power. They usually have some bits of colour to make the front cover not so boring. It has other pictures and cover stories on.
Target Audience - 18 - 30
Examples of Rock magazines - Kerrang
Rock Bands - Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Green Day
Would I Choose This Genre For My Magazine?- I think that this genre is too dark and would like to do a colourfull magazine and do popular bands and singers.


Pop- pop music magazines are usually very colourfull, they usually have edited images and involve lots of information but keep it simple and to the point as the target audience is usually young. The colours they use are often pink, light blues, bright colours like yellows and greens, and they have designs and patterns on them to not make them boring and more exciting.
Target Audience - 14 - 17
Examples of Pop magazines - Top of The Pops magazine is the only pop magazine around, there isnt any other. Most are american
Pop Artists - Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, The Saturdays, Pixie Lott
Would I Choose This Genre For My Magazine? - I think this would be great to do a pop magazine as there is a gap in the magazine market.



Hip Hop - Hip Hop magazines are usually dark colours or male colours like blues and reds. The magazine is usually simple and rarley have a lot of writing on the front page. There is rarely a big design on the front and it lacks in excitment.
Target Audience - 18+
Examples of Hip Hop magazines - XXL, The Source and Hip Hop
Hip Hop Artists - 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, The Game, Eminem, Jay Z
Would I Choose This Genre For My Magazine? - I dont think I will choose this genre for my own magazine, I think that the magazine is too simple and would be boring, I also think it would be hard to potray a hip hop artist.


Classical- Classical music magazines are very simple, they have a large font, and they rely on the image and the main story to draw the audience in. They have the same conventions as other magazines, but dont stand out to most people and audiences.
Target Audience - Older people, as younger people dont tend to listen to this genre of music
Examples of Classical Magazines - BBC Music Magazine
Classical Artists - Paul Potts, Il Divo and Katherine Jenkins
Would I Choose This Genre For My Magazine - I personally dont like classical music so i think that this would be a bad genre to do my my own magazine on as I dont know much about it, even after the reasearch.


Dance - Dance magazines are full on they have lots of colour and a full image with lots going on. The fonts are bold and the fonts are exciting and stand out. The colours are bright colours like pinks, blues and yellows. Neon colours are also used often as they represent dance music, as they use glow sticks.
Target Audience - 40 and under
Examples of Dance Magazines - Mix Mag and Core
Dance Artists - DJ's like David Guetta, Tiesto
Would I Choose This Genre For My Magazine? - I would definantly think of choosing this genre, because the covers are exciting and seem fun to produce, I also like the colours used and the images they use too.


The reason I decided to identify music genres this way is to explore the different way that different genres create there magazines. By doing this reasearch its helped me decide more and its help me cross out some genres, by the conventions they use.

No comments:

Post a Comment